The GW Grounds Team is committed to providing a high level of landscape maintenance service for all exterior parts of the GW Foggy Bottom campus. Team members often work independently but also in groups. A typical day on the job may include a morning schedule of debris removal, a mid-day landscape project, and an afternoon property inspection.
This position is a part of the Service Employees International Union, Local 32BJ (SEIU).
The core responsibilities of the Groundsperson role include:
• Abiding by all safety procedures and processes outlined by the Grounds Department.
• Participate in all aspects of grounds maintenance at the George Washington University campus.
• Hands-on tasks include: planting, pruning, watering, hauling brush, mowing, weeding, raking, trash and recycling pick up, applying mulch and soil amendments, and other physical work.
• Operation of power equipment such as battery and gas-powered blowers, trimmers, lawn mowers, and electric carts.
Use of garden tools such as rakes, shovels, hoses, pruning shears, knives, and wheel barrows.
• Pathway and road maintenance to include snow shoveling in the winter months and leaf removal.
• Engaging in associated trainings, discussions, and off-site workshops.
• Regular property inspections of the designated work area.
• Interact with students, staff, and visitors to convey GW’s mission both on and off property.
• Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Please contact us if you are interested in becoming part of the team, or if you intend to provide a referral.
Horticulture and Grounds Manager